CONSULTATION ON CHANGES TO BIN COLLECTIONS
CBC has recently launched a consultation on some options for changes to bin collections as the current waste collection contracts come to an end in 2019 and gives an opportunity to consider options to:
- harmonise the service across the area
- increase efficiency; and
- increase levels of recycling.
Plus saving money as waste is the third largest area of revenue spend for the council
The options for change that they will be asking for feedback are:
1. Weekly food waste collection for everyone.
2. Three options for fortnightly recycling collections, one of which includes glass collection for everyone.
3 Three-weekly collection of domestic waste (black bins).
4. Year-round fortnightly collection of garden waste, which customers pay for.
CBC is not the only council to have considered some of these options; 17 other councils have moved to three-weekly domestic waste collections and they are looking closely at such schemes to learn as much as possible from them.
Collecting garden waste is not a statutory service that the council has to provide and almost a third (30%) of councils are now charging for this service.
The consultation will open on 26 February and run until 5.00pm on 20 April 2018.
There is information on the website at www.centralbedfordshire.gov.uk/bin-changes.
During the first two weeks of the consultation every household in the area will receive a leaflet, outlining the options and directing them to more information to enable everyone to have a say.
During the consultation the waste team will be available to speak to residents and answer questions at the following libraries during the consultation:
- Toddington Library - Tuesday, 13 March from 9am to 11:30am
- Biggleswade Library - Friday, 16 March from 11am to 1:30pm
- Dunstable Library - Saturday, 17 March from 1:30pm to 4pm
- Leighton Buzzard Library - Tuesday, 20 March from 10am to midday
- Flitwick Library - Wednesday, 21 March from 3pm to 5:30pm
- Shefford Library - Saturday, 24 March from 9am to 11:30am
- Houghton Regis Library - Tuesday, 27 March from 1:30pm to 4pm
The consultation feedback will be considered, along with further modelling work, at the Executive meeting on 10 May 2018. Changes would not be implemented until Autumn 2019.