When you park in our parish, please do so considerately
The Parish Council would ask all residents, businesses, organisations and their visitors to please think about where they are parking in our parish. Locations where there have been examples of inconsiderate parking and those areas of most concern highlighted by parishioners:are
- Outside of and in the vicinity of Greenfield School right up to Flitton Road and the High Street Greenfield and towards the Woodlands Estate especially at school drop-off and pick-up times
- Outside the Church and Church Hall especially when parking on the High Street Flitton where there is the nasty bend
- Near the junction of Wardhedges Road and Silsoe Road
- In the cycle lane at the build out on Flitton Hill
- Outside the cemetery towards the bend in the road
When parking please think about the dangers of
- Parking on pavements which means wheelchair users and buggies cannot get through and children and other pedestrians have to walk in the road
- Parking near junctions and yellow lines which obscures safe crossing points for pedestrians
- Parking so that other vehicles, including emergency services cannot pass
- Parking on the yellow zig-zags or designated drive way lines outside the school
- Parking near bends/corners so that it makes driving dangerous
There was very nearly a head on collision on Saturday afternoon as a result of poor parking practices and this could be you or your family next time.
Thank you in advance for making Flitton and Greenfield a safe place for our children, parishioners and visitors.
The relevant Highway Code sections confirm:
• You MUST NOT park in parking spaces reserved for specific users, eg Blue Badge holders, residents or motorcycles, unless entitled to do so.
• You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.
• You MUST NOT park, for any period of time, near or on zig-zag lines at a school entrance.
• You MUST NOT park anywhere where you would prevent access for Emergency Service
• You MUST NOT park at or near a bus stop, including school bus pick up/drop off points
• You MUST NOT park opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space.
• You MUST NOT park in front of an entrance to a property.
• You MUST NOT park or wait on Double Yellow lines at any time, unless signs show restrictions.